Has your office "gone green" with an amalgam separator yet?

Moderators: msimonar, scottv

Has your office "gone green" with an amalgam separator yet?

Postby scottv » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Many state and local laws already require that dental offices have an amalgam separation system installed on their vacuum systems to keep amalgam/mercury from getting into the water supply and food chain via the wastewater systems. The EPA also has announced that it will regulate amalgam separation and make it a national requirement by sometime in 2012 as indicated in the ADA article below.

http://www.ada.org/news/4815.aspx

Some have asked if they don't need one because they don't use amalgams, but it doesn't matter if you place amalgams or not, you may have to remove them, and that goes into the wastewater. If you haven't installed one yet or are not happy with your current one (many are messy and a pain to empty and you still end up having to pay to recycle the waste), ask your DHPI account manager about the amalgam separators we carry.

In my experience, the easiest and most effective system to use is the Solmetex Hg5. The Hg5 comes in a sleek, compact system which uses a combination of 3 separation technologies; gravity/sedimentation, mechanical filtration and chemical chelation (for suspended molecules), providing excellent filtration without negatively affecting your suction.
My favorite thing about this system is the "no muss, no fuss disposal" as I like to call it.
When it's time to change the filter cartridge, you simply pull two pins, pop off the old one, pop on the new cartridge, and zip the old one off in the prepaid shipping package for recycling that's already included with the cartridge.
Now you tell me, what could be easier than that? Do yourself and your staff a favor and make this part of your maintenance routine easy and mess free with the Hg5.
Scott Vollmer
Equipment Sales
Dental Health Products, Inc.
2614 North Sugar Bush Rd.
New Franken, WI 54229
Toll Free: 800-626-2163 Ext. 2373
Fax: 920-866-1865
Email: scottv@dhpi.net
Cell: 920-819-0640
Web: www.dhpionline.com
scottv

Re: Has your office "gone green" with an amalgam separator yet?

Postby mwouters31 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:51 am

Great information Scott!
mwouters31

Return to Small Equipment and Repair